Monday, October 7, 2013

Make it Monday - Nothing too new but a great new recipe!

One of the reasons I am LOVING finally blogging is that I have sooo many projects that I want to do and I am not really very good at executing them.  I'm trying so hard to get all kinds of things done but sometimes my lack of motivation gets the best of me!

Last week I had a pretty good week!  I got more done than I really thought I did.  I'm trying to do more surprises for the kids, nothing expensive but I'm sure coming home from school is exhausting.  So October 1st, I decided to bake some Halloween cupcakes so they would have them when they came home from school.  Out of the box cupcakes I'm good with, I usually decorate with frosting, nothing fancy, and sprinkles.  Tuesday, I spent the school day shopping with my friend Amanda.  By the time I got home, I had just enough time to get the cupcakes in the oven and out, 5 minutes before I had to go pick up the kids.  
 CLEARLY I was walking out the door.  By the time I took the picture, the icing melted.  I had time to write "Happy October" on an index card and walk out the door!  Next time I will have to plan just a little bit better!


My family and I have a TON of DVD's and recently changed the way we set up all of them, future blog post!!  I did get to make the dividers so I was very happy that it finally got done.  Only problem was that I didn't have what I really needed for how I wanted to do them.
 For now, this will do!

I am trying to make ONE new recipe a week.  I figure this way I can actually use some of my pins on Pinterest.  You know the ones!  The ones that you pin that you NEVER actually do.  Yeah those!! Well I am working on getting to those pins!  That's why I am LOVING, Make it Monday!
 Sorry for the BAD picture!  This is Chicken SPAGHETTI.  It uses one can of Rotel, so it was a little spicy.  It was TOO spicy for my little Kailey so next time I will be using a can of diced tomatoes instead.  This was definitely recipe book worthy!

For the LONGEST time I have been wanting to make a growth chart for the kids.  I have seen so many on Pinterest and I was ready to spend $100 on one from Etsy.  This is one I had pinned on Pinterest on my Craft board.
It's not quite what I wanted to do but I LOVED the idea of it.  So with the help of my friend Amanda, of course, because she is so awesome and crafty and GETS things done (and she lives two seconds from my house and is a stay at home mom too!) She said, let's do it!! 

I LOVE dark wood.  My entertainment center is BLACK, I know, but I LOVE it!  I decided to go with a dark stain.  Amanda said it might be a little dark but I could have SWORN I had seen a dark one on the world wide web.  I just couldn't find the one I loved for reference!! OF COURSE!

So I went with the dark stain!  Are you ready for it...

 Yeah, a little too dark!!! tears.......... In perfect lighting you see it so well, but that wasn't good enough. I didn't even put the kids measurements on there because I just wasn't 100% happy with it.  Amanda suggested that we try sanding it down and trying again.

I wasn't too sure how I felt about this but I knew I wasn't happy with the current state of it.  One afternoon I went over to Amanda's and she helped me sand it down and stain a lighter color on top.  I'm not too sure how I feel about it.  I'm kind of in love with it but it's not something I would normally have.  I like uniform, one color but this turned out pretty amazing!  AND instead of paying $100, it was less than $20!
I finally took the kids old paper growth charts and added them on to this board.  What I didn't realize is that this piece of board will one day have my grandkids growth marks on it.  What an awesome idea!!!

I love making bows.  It's a little time consuming and I'm not always 100% ready to make them. But when I do, I LOVE them.  I have a small list of bows that I need to get made but I'm working on them as I get a chance.  

Looking back, I guess I really did do a lot last week.  When you stay at home, sometimes it's hard to really realize what you have gotten done.  I hope this next week is just as productive!

SJR Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment