Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Introducing: What I made from Pinterest Wednesday- First Edition



Whoah!! Sounds all serious doesn't it? HAHA well you know sometimes I want to sound all Professional.  HA who am I kidding, no one here!  

Well I'm sure, along with half of the female population, I am addicted to Pinterest.  I think I have something like, 23,000+ pins.  I've probably only "done" about 100.  I know, who am I kidding, like I'll EVER even get through half of them.  But I will say it has seriously inspired this mama to try new things.  

One of the things that I am not good at is cooking.  I really don't know how the hubby has survived, going on 13 years, with my cooking.  I'm not good at whipping meals together.  I am trying my hardest to remedy this situation but it's not easy.  I make fun of myself all the time because it makes me laugh.  I am a pretty good baker only because I HAVE to follow the directions, step by step!  But even then I can mess things up really bad, like this recipe I made this week.

I am trying to make one new recipe a week from Pinterest and this mama needs to be cooking for my growing family.  Don't get too excited this baby making factory is CLOSED but the kiddos are still growing and that's what is important.  

If you're ever curious about what recipes I'm working on weekly, come follow my Food - This weeks menu board on Pinterest.  So here is what I made last night.  It's called One Pot Pasta with Tomatoes and Basil.  The original recipe comes from Girl Versus Dough so if you are looking for tips you might want to check out her site.

The ingredients for this recipe are simple:
*1 box (13.25 oz) Dreamfields angel hair pasta
*1 container (10.5 oz) grape tomatoes, halved
*2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
*1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
*2 basil leaves, plus more torn leaves for topping
*5 cups water
*Salt and pepper, to taste
*Shredded Parmesan cheese for topping

 

I'm pretty sure I get anxious when I start to cook.  I read that recipe over and over and didn't see that it had a specific amount of water.  So what did I do, what I do best, added a bunch of water like I would spaghetti.  Yeah messed up the water, how bad is that?!  So hubby, thankfully he is so understanding, told me to just dump it out and start over.  So that's what I did.

Look how pretty it is in the pot.


Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, combine pasta (noodles broken in half to fit in pan, if necessary), tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, onion, basil leaves, water and salt and pepper to taste.
2.  Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes until pasta is al dente and water is almost fully evaporated (there may be about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water left when the noodles are done; this OK, as it will soak in as the pasta cools).
3. Season Pasta with more salt and pepper, if needed, then divide among serving bowls.  Top with extra torn basil leaves and shredded Parmesan chesse.

This is at the boiling stage


And here is the finished product


It was OK, it was very bland.  I thought with all that onion and garlic this would be DELICIOUS.  I don't think I added enough garlic.  I had so many comments on my Facebook page asking about what I was making and a few friends that said they had made it too.  Some added Kielbasa and another added smoked sausage.  

I love myself any kind of Pasta because I know 99% of the time I won't mess it up but my family needs some meat.  I think adding some sort of sausage would have made a difference with this meal.  Friends suggested adding more garlic, or changing the water to chicken broth.  Also just simply adding more basil.  

We had so much left over today that we had it again for dinner, I'm all about using up leftovers.  My husband added some garlic salt and more Parmesan and he liked it. 

I wouldn't say this recipe was a complete fail, maybe I'm thinking fail because I messed up so bad right off the start.  For now, I'm going to go ahead and add it to the "try again" pile.  What would you change or add to this recipe to make it less bland?  What kind of side would you serve with it.

Until next time, 

XOXO
Michelle
SJR Post Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment